Monday, October 09, 2006

Counting Down the Days

ON THE ROAD AGAIN, almost

We are counting the days now until we leave for the winter...to eventually end up in a warmer climate, not returning home until spring has sprung next year!

We spent the last two winters being 'snowbirds' - leaving our home for four months and going 'south'. We fell in love with traveling and sightseeing, and this year we are leaving even earlier in the fall. We will be going East this trip, before going South. T has relatives in the 'heart land' and we are going to visit them, and he is going to show me all his old haunts. In order to make it over all the passes without hitting snow - we have to leave early this year. Meaning we will be gone for at least six months.

T has traveled extensively on business over the years, and has been to many of the states, but not had time to play tourist. I don't fly (scares me spitless) and have never traveled much. We are really enjoying this opportunity.

We have motor-homed our way down the Washington, Oregon and California coasts, seen the Giant Redwoods, visited Quilly-Sister in Las Vegas, toured Hoover Dam, visited the Grand Canyon, gone through Zion National Park, seen the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest, toured San Francisco, seen Death Valley's highs and lows from one end to the other, visited in New Mexico, seen the Imperial Sand Dunes and the Salton Sea, fell in love with the desert, seen cranberry bogs, cotton growing in fields - and gone through countless State Parks, museums, monuments, mines, tourist attractions, etc.

T and I are perfect traveling companions...we both want to see everything and we stop often. And neither of us have every seen any 'ugly' country...it all has it's own beauty. When we come into a town, we find the visitor's center first. They are full of information on the local attractions and we can pick out things we want to see and do.

My emotions are all over the place right now. I have my usual anxieties... about remembering to do everything that needs done before we leave: making sure I get everything packed, farmed out, turned off, transferred, taken care of, etc. And I'm filled with excitement about going down new roads, seeing things and places I've never gone or seen before. But I also have this feeling I can't describe...about being gone for SIX MONTHS!! A HALF OF A YEAR OF MY LIFE!! To not see my kids, my grandbabies, my friends...how strange is that??? I've always been a home body. This is like a life that is happening to someone else. I'll get it all together pretty soon! But not today.

18 comments:

Kat Campbell said...

How exciting! New people to meet and things to see every day. Fun! You'll be blogging your experiences I hope? I love living vicariously through other people!

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie, I am jealous, but I hope you will share with us your wonderful "on the road" adventures and pictures.

Just LArry, beautiful song.

Jackie's Garden said...

Cindra, it would be quite a trip for me to come north to you for Christmas. However, since you'll be at the airport anyway - when CL and R fly out, you and bonnie baby
could fly to US for Christmas. Great plan!

Yes, Ms. Kitty is going to have an adventure. We've spent months worrying about a CAT! and whether we should drive 1,000 miles round trip to leave her with you - or take her with us in a motorhome! I voted the 1,000 miles for a CAT! was insane and if we are going to have a cat, we have to be responsible for her ALL year! And there will be a litter box in the basement (eww).

Jackie's Garden said...

OMG! Larry, you can put a song in my blog anytime! That's beautiful, I wish I could hear the tune. Maybe you'll be at Cin/Tom's again when we are - and I can hear that. I'd love to.

P.S. After reading your (unnamed) brother's blog regarding 'words', I don't believe there IS any blog
etiquette!! LOL

Jackie's Garden said...

Kat and Quilly-Sister, I had made a decision that I was going to stop blogging when we leave, believing I'd be too busy, don't even have time to keep up with emails to the friends I see/know in the flesh, etc.,etc. - but now I'm thinking maybe I'll have to keep it up. We'll see. With this wireless internet, I could actually be on the internet while we were going down the road, but what would I miss outside my window???? Don't want to do that.

BUT...I don't want to miss the stories of the grownups trying to kill you, Quilly. Being 10 years older than you are - I missed being there.

BUT....if I don't keep doing it I won't be able to read the rest of your complete blog, Kat, so I'll know 'your' people and you!!

Dave said...

That sounds fantastic, especially "having to leave early before the snows", a real adventure. I envy you. With the US being so big you have such a fantastic range of scenery and climates. If I lived there I would do what you do, certainly never bother to fly. Please keep the blog going as it would keep us up to date with pictures and places you visit. Look at it this way it will also be a record of your travels that the Grandkids can use and you can look back on it in the years to come. So lets hope you do it. Bon voyage

Louisiana said...

6 months worth of traveling sound like a dream to me. i can, however, understand your nervousness. i do hope that once you are on the road you start to feel less of it.
your kids, as wonderful as they are, will only be happy for you. knowing that mom is having the time of her life and experiencing beautiful things will make them happy.
i get all worried before i go away too. i look forward to it so much and worry none the less..i'm not sure why. but i do hope it doesn't keep you from enjoyment. also, if need or want be you can always drive up to visit with family. whatever you do,i hope it brings your life fullfillment and peace and many, many wonderful memories.

take care. many hugs.

Anonymous said...

Mama, you know we keep in touch with eachother, you and Cindra and Scott and I, a lot when you're "on the road." And I always love hearing your excitement about seeing new places and things. You'll be ready and on your way in no time.

Larry, beautiful song!

Jackie's Garden said...

davem - I really do enjoy the traveling, and am very grateful we're able to do it. I know there is SO much to see without flying, but I keep thinking if I wasn't such a baby, I could fly home for Christmas, at least. Oh well, I grow up a little more each year...
maybe I'll get there!

Jackie's Garden said...

Chana, that worry thing must be a female deal! LOL
After Cindra first moved to Oregon with the kids, whenever I'd get ready to go there, or they were coming up here - I'd get sick! Such a dummy, to do that to my own body. Too much excitement, I guess. Thanks for the wishes.

Jackie's Garden said...

Brooke, I'm always thankful for the cellphones! Just have a little thing with the distance - it's kind of like it's outside my comfort zone - always aware of how long it would take to get back if something happened. (Just more of me being neurotic! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Have fun and tell us when you get back
Wish you well

Jackie's Garden said...

zingtrial, thanks for the well wishes - and same to you.

Catch said...

Have a fun trip and enjoy yourself! You deserve it.

Jackie's Garden said...

catch - Thanks! Nice of you to say.
I've 'seen' you on some of Cindra's comments, and then I go read your blog - you're a witty girl!

Jackie's Garden said...

It's hard to hit Oregon, Babydoll, when you're going East from here! We will, however, be coming to see you on our way home. Love you much. Miss you.

Neoma said...

Oh my, I have anxiety just thinking about YOUR trip. So glad it is you and not me, I would worry about everything while I was gone. I used to love this kind of thing, but not anymore. For many reasons, have fun and send lots of pictures to blogger......once you are back.

Jackie's Garden said...

Nea, I have anxiety about everything, so if I let that stop me, I wouldn't do much! LOL Maybe some day it won't be as much fun to me, but it's still exciting now.
Thanks for the good wishes.