Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Fairy Rock in my Secret Garden


My hubby used his tractor to drag this rock off the top of our hill, into my secret garden. I call it my fairy rock - because it's covered with moss and decomposing material and looks (to me) like a rock you would find deeeeeep in the forest where the fairies live.

I've always been fond of fairies. Use to tell the kids stories that began, "Once upon a time in a long ago land, there lived a beautiful fairy princess named Jackie". They never were overly fond of these stories....I wonder if that's because the ugly toads were always named after them!???

While we were planning the garden and discussing where to put what - my hubby asked me one day, "If I tell someone that is a fairy rock, will they know what I'm talking about? Or is that just something you say?" - and I had to tell him that he probably wouldn't want to call it a fairy rock. But I DO, and WILL - because, well, just look at it, it is, isn't it????

12 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

Fairies

There are fairies in the forest,
There are fairies in the glen,
But I'd like to find a fairy
In the kitchen now and then;

Then if I found her friendly
And regardful of my wishes,
I'd read the morning paper
While the fairy did the dishes.

~Anonymous

Jenn said...

Yes. I believe in faeries. And I wish I could see one. And your rock looks like a faerie rock.

Jackie's Garden said...

Hey, CB, I haven't seen that little poem in years. I like those fairies too - but can't say I've ever seen one. Or evidence of their having been to my house!
xoxoxo

Jackie's Garden said...

Jenn - we'll have to keep our eyes open. Maybe look for one of those that Quilldancer's talking about, too!!

Kat Campbell said...

Looks like a place fairys would hang out to me. More because of the lovely color and all those cracks and crevices. You gardens just take my breath away.

Jenn said...

Where the bee sucks, there suck I,
in a cowslips' bell I lie...

Jackie's Garden said...

Thanks, Kat - wish you could see it in person. It isn't big anywhere, but it's a fun garden. We have decomposing granite rocks from our hill around the pond. A large rock by the pond to sit on, and a beautiful large colored rock in the secret garden that I'll have a water feature on next year.

Jackie's Garden said...

Jenn, I like your little garden poem! Thanks.

Jenn said...

Hehe...so flattered, but it was Shakespeare's actually - from the Midsummer Night's Dream.

I think. Don't quote me on that.

Jenn said...

See? I told you not to quote me. It was actually Ariel from the Tempest:

Where the bee sucks, there suck I;
In a cowslip's bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.
On the bat's back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

Jackie's Garden said...

Jenn, that is just too sweet! Isn't it a riot - the things that you'l remember!?!?

Anonymous said...

hey your blog design is very nice, clean and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

- Norman