Wednesday, October 25, 2006

HELLO, FROM IOWA !

There is a two hour time difference here in Iowa - and I haven't caught up yet. It was a very fast paced trip for us. Five days was straight traveling - trying to stay ahead of the snow and make it over the mountain passes. Due to the weather, we decided to forego the sightseeing on this first leg of the trip, and just drive straight through to Iowa. T still has relatives here in Iowa so we are visiting, as well as making some day trips so Terry can show me some of his old haunts - from when he was growing up in corn country.

The country is all so beautiful, everywhere. We left Washington state and came over some Idaho passes that were breath-taking. There was snow in the higher elevations, and along the sides of the roads, but nothing we had to drive on. Thank God - that's not something I want to do in a 32 foot motorhome.

Montana hills were full of tamarack trees which are changing colors - beautiful golds and yellows in the green. And more snow on the mountains. I've always liked Montana.



Wyoming is a beautiful, open state, and I love the red rock there. They even put it in their roads - and makes me feel like I'm in the land of Oz!

Traveling always makes me think of those that came before. First on foot, then on horseback and wagon trains. I always wonder what they thought about the country - and since they couldn't travel the distances we can today - did they think the world all looked the same? It amazes me to think of the work and technology it took to get from that point - to our highways and freeways and where there are today with travel.

South Dakota was where we starting getting cold weather. The land is every changing -driving through mountains and then into long rolling hills. It's all beautiful to me. Lots of corn fields there, too. Of course, we stopped at Wall Drug.













When we crossed the state line into Iowa, it dawned on me that it had been a long time since I'd seen a pine tree! There are no mountains here either, but beautiful rolling hills. It's all farm land where we are - acres and acres of corn fields. And beautiful two story farm houses - each with requisite barn and corn crib. I'm fascinated with the corn cribs. And I'm really liking Iowa!

15 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

Hey, sis! I'm glad you missed the snow. And I'm glad you're enjoy corn country. AND I'm really glad you've posted again. I was afraid you'd really left us behind!

Louisiana said...

Oh God Bless you child for taking us along on a first rate road trip. I'm loving every picture and the story that goes with it. I have never been anywhere there, and i think this is better than any tourist on the web clip. Great job. Glad you out drove the bad weather, specially in the mountains. I know how scary that can be. Enjoy the memory lane stories..i love hearing how it all was for our loved ones..

Keep on having fun and stay safe.

Kat Campbell said...

So happy to see you! These pictures are drop dead fantastic! That two story barn, wow. Kinda shocking seeing all that snow, but it sounds like you and T are having a great time. Can't wait for your next post.

Jackie's Garden said...

Quilly-Sister, I did leave you behind, or maybe ahead. Actually, we were way too busy for blogging, and then - the %&#$+ thing would not work when I was ready. Finally sent my pics to Cindra and had her post them on mine....and as it is, I lost one of Montana when I was trying to post. Oh well. Glad you got your postcard. Love you.

Jackie's Garden said...

Hi Chana. Thanks. We are having a good time - I've never seen this country either, so it's exciting. I'm use to mountains where I live, not cornfields. I could live here -if it wasn't for the COLD. In the 20's at night, that's not for me anymore.

Jackie's Garden said...

Kat, I called these barns when I first saw them, too. T promptly pointed out the differences. They have cupolas, for one thing, that barns do not. They are built differently and can't be used for anything else. Now that corn is picked and worked by machine, the corn cribs are no longer used and every farm is just letting them fall down. I must have taken pictures of at least 70 - 100 of them already! I love the old weathered ones best. Thanks for the nice words, but if I ever take a good picture, it's purely by accident! LOL

Charlene Amsden said...

Tamarack trees -- the only deciduous trees that change color in fall. Now I'm homesick. You know, I'd move back to Western Montana in a minute, except I have never forgotten that 40* below winter! Brrrrrrrr!

Doug The Una said...

Remember to have pizza at Casey's and if you stop near Iowa city let me know. Otherwise, vaya con dios.

Jenn said...

Wow, I love the picture of the corn crib as well. Although it seems so barn-y to me. That orange is highly evocative.

Am glad you're enjoying your trip.

Jackie's Garden said...

Doug - thanks for the tip, and the trip wishes. We're not in Iowa any longer - moving on.


Jenn - I called the corn cribs barns when I first saw them. You have to get up close and personal to know the difference. LOL


CL - When I get to your end of the U.S., I'll show you pics of some really old corn cribs - I took scads of pics of them.

I love you too, but yeah, yeah, yeah - I AM THE mother. LOL xo0xoxo

Dave said...

Fantastic pics Jackie thanks. What an experience driving around, I wish we had that variety of climate and scenery here. Eversince I sudied the US in school I have always wanted to visit and maybe do something that you are doing now. So until then keep posting as I love reading about your trip. Montana has always had an appeal eversince I read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by R Phirsig. Cheers D

Jackie's Garden said...

Hi Dave, thanks - but as I mentioned, purely an accident when my pics turn out well. LOL. I'm sure it's lovely where you live - I sure like your buildings - was visiting at your blog. I am loving seeing new country. I was familiar with Montana, and do think it is beautiful in most areas. What's not to like about the mountains and tall pines? We are lucky to be traveling, and lucky that we see the beauty where ever we are. Yes indeed!

Anonymous said...

I love you mama. Travel safe. Love the pictures and want to see more. xoxoxox

Neoma said...

Wow you are driving through some pretty cold country for this time of year, you will definitely see some snow. But the pictures are lovely......hope you are staying warm. Love the one of the barn.

Did I ever mention that my Mother was originally from the state of Washington, and we still have family in Washington and Idaho. But I seldom see them. Once Mom is gone, and her sister, all of the original family of grandma will be gone, and all that is left is the 45 or so cousins.

Well it looks like you are keeping busy on the road......love the pictures......

My Grandma was from a town called Avoca, Iowa originally.....how she ended up in Washington is a story I don't really know. See if you can find Avoca on a map for me, Okay......

Jackie's Garden said...

Nea, I have family in Washington and Idaho, too! Maybe we're related! Let me know if you ever go that way for a vacation.

Avoca Iowa is in Southwest Iowa. It is due West of Des Moines and nearly to Nebraska. You know, toots, you really should talk to your mom and anyone who is left, and find out how/why the family migrated. By the time I was old enough to care about a lot of the history - everyone was gone and I had no way of finding anything out. I'll always regret that.