Saturday, September 23, 2006

Close Encounters



Had to share this with Sister Quilly.

This little deer friend came to visit a total of four times this spring/summer. The first time I saw her, I was sitting on the edge of one of my raised beds, inside the garden gate, and digging away. My cat was stretched out in one of the flower beds in front of me. I heard a noise behind me, looked up to see Miss Kitty in her usual position, and quickly turned around. There stood this beautiful second year fawn!

I yelled for my husband, Terry, who was working in the shop. When I yelled his name (and boy, can I yell) he came tearing out of there. He said later that he thought I was being killed. (Also said not to yell like that again!) I thought sure the fawn would run when I yelled - but she never moved. I was just in shock. I couldn't believe a deer came into my garden and was so close to me. Terry wasn't shocked, just worried about my getting hurt if the fawn felt cornered and got into a panic. He made me leave the garden and he shooed her away. She was definitely in no hurry to leave - she'd found all the tasty greens!

A little later I was in the front yard watering when the fawn came to visit again. She would come up and sniff my hand, but wouldn't eat the grass I offered. I was so excited, so happy, it was a great feeling. And of course, I yelled for Terry again. Things like this just don't happen.

I was beginning to think 'little Jackie is so special - the deer come to visit her'. And while I'm basking in my "specialness", the neighbors from up on the top of the hill came driving by. When they saw the fawn in the yard they stopped to say, "Oh, you met our little friend. She comes up and eats grain at our place and lets us walk up to her. She also goes to the neighbors on the other side of the hill and plays with their dog".

That deflated my balloon...guess I'm not so special after all! But it was still one of the highlights of my summer. I see deer everyday, more now that they are so hungry - but I've not had any "close encounters" until this year!

12 comments:

Neoma said...

Ah....how cute.....that is so tame. I am surprised, she must be used to being fed.

I think one of my neighbors feeds the deer, that might be why they quit eating my azaleas. Although as fast as they grow, I wish they would come back and do some free pruning for me. haha

Dave said...

If you yell "venison" I bet she would soon move.

Nice to get that close to wild animals though.

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie, when we lived in Montana we didn't hunt on our own place, either. Now I am going to worry that tame deer might walk up to a hunter for a pet and some play.

Just Tom said...

Now your garden is complete with all of the woodland creatures coming down to play with you-- like snow white. don't pet the bears, though. did you hear on the news how I guy in China jumped into the panda exhibit because he thought they were cute and wanted to pet them? He got bit.

Oh, and by the way the next challenge is up. Come and check it out. Peace, Tom

Jackie's Garden said...

Nea, thanks for coming by. I throw all the scraps out here for the deer, too. I don't put them too close to the house, and never thought about trying to make them friends. Don't think I will either - it would just be dangerous for them.

Jackie's Garden said...

davem, they just really aren't too smart, I'm afraid. LOL

Jackie's Garden said...

CB, I think that's already happened...no one has seen our fawn for some time. xoxoxoxo

Jackie's Garden said...

Cindra Jo, yeah, that infamous whistle...Terry isn't too crazy about it either. But what can I say? One must do what works. LOL

Jackie's Garden said...

Well, Tom, those Pandas ARE really cute! Thanks.

Louisiana said...

he is so beautiful. how sweet of a visit. you are lucky to have share in those little treats that Nature and it's wild life give us. and one more time, my goodness, what an amazingly beautiful garden...holly maccarroni, gorgeous.

Jackie's Garden said...

Yeah, Chana, it was a once in a lifetime experience for me. Now I'm hoping to see the bear that visits our hill and tears the branches off the tree and leaves us 'scat' - but don't want to see him quite as close!

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie, you may not pet the bear!

Once when Dad, Shirley and I were camping up Bumble Bee a bear came and scratched his back on the trailer hitch. He knocked us off the blocks and moved us back about four feet. Shirley was freaking, yelling for Dad to shoot and trying to climb in the top bunk all at once.