Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Saying 'goodbye' for the winter...


The weather is getting cool and I soon won't be able to feed or pet my fish. I miss them in the winter. When the pond temperature reaches 50 degrees, I have to stop feeding them for the
winter. They go to the deep end (3-1/2 feet) and become dormat.

My koi will start swimming near the top again, next spring when the pond temperature starts rising. And then I will start feeding them again.

I like my fish. I inherited fancy fantail goldfish over ten years ago, when I purchased a house with a pond. Later, I bought some koi. Had "Hoover" and "Kirby" (named for the way they'd eat: as if they were vacuuming the top of the water) for several years - and then lost all my beautiful fish in one day - to a blue heron.

When I married nearly five years ago, and moved up here on the hill, my hubby hand dug my pond for me, and bought me koi. He used the tractor to haul all the decomposing granite rocks in for around the pond. We really enjoy the pond and the fish.

Shortly after I started setting up that first pond, I had a dream about fish! I dreamed that I was in some huge building where they had flooded it, and the water was up over my knees. The fish kept swimming by and rubbing against my legs, and I would pet them. Every color and size. I woke up feeling so calm and happy. I've never had the dream again - but I sure would like to!

10 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

You wrote this so well that here I am mouring the hibernation of your fish. It was wonderful of Terry to make you a new pond.

I remember how upset you were when the Heron came. We talked about it on the phone. I mam glad you have new fish.

Jackie's Garden said...

CJ - Water always seems to be calming, soothing. I wonder if it's because that's from whence we came??? I miss you too, sissy, all the time.

CB - it's wonderful to garden and live "outdoors" when someone is so good as to "build" everything for you. I think I'll keep him.

Kat Campbell said...

I love my pond too, first place I go after work. The kids and I hand dug ours while Pap was recovering from heart surgery several years ago. He swore he would never lift a finger to take care of it and then he fell in love with the fish.

Anonymous said...

I remember your hubby digging this pond and how excited you were... and how made me come pet the fish even though I didn't really want to. Love and miss you mama

Jackie's Garden said...

Love you, too, Brooke. And my fish love you! xoxoxoxo

Jackie's Garden said...

Kat, thanks for the note. Visited your site (love the pics of the little ones) looking for that pond, but no luck. Hand digging! You ARE a worker - I just do the cutsy, finishing work!

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie -- I love this new pic on your header. I am looking forward to seeing a new pic there everyday .....

Jackie's Garden said...

Dream on CB, I'm through taking pictures for a while. And Cindra is probably through posting them on here for me! She tells me how simple the codes are to read, etc., but doesn't look like it to me.

Neoma said...

Jackie, i will trade you husbands straight across.....just send him COD......I will pay for the shipping...haha

Jackie's Garden said...

You crack me up, girl! Seriously, it is SO nice to have someone to help. I spent years and years gardening alone and there was so much I couldn't do and have - because of my lack of 'manly' strength, lack of tractor, etc. etc. I think you said once that this was your third marriage - mine too, (we'll be married 5 years in December) - I kissed a lot of frogs! Think I'll keep this one. LOL