Friday, September 29, 2006

My "Secret" Garden



This was our latest, and I hope, last big project. When we came home last spring we started work on my 'secret' garden - and that's what we've done most of the summer. We had the old 40's garage that was beside my garden, torn down last summer. Behind where it was, we had a new shop built which gave us access to the area behind my fenced garden. I decided I wanted a 'secret' garden; one you could only enter by walking through my existing garden, but one that wasn't a part of, or continuation of, the garden I had.

My hubby moved existing fence posts in the garden, so an entrance was formed; then started digging all the new fence posts. As he digs all these by hand, I'm amazed he supports my gardening. He used the tractor to level, to drag in a 'fairy' rock and a rock for my water feature. We hauled in sand, dirt, and 600 bricks for a small patio area. I laid every single one of those bricks! It's not completely level by any means, but looks rather like it's very old and has settled. I dug flower beds and planted, and then put in grass. We planted three fruit trees. What a chore that grass was....over 90 degree weather every day...I was sometimes watering it 14 times a day! But now it's done - and I be happier.

This is the LAST big project we are going to do with the land. I hope. I'd like one summer of just watering and enjoying. It's a big enough job taking care of the fenced areas as it is, keeping it weeded and trying to keep yard and gardens green all around the house. Am always afraid I'll run the well dry. But.....I DID love that fresh corn....and just MAYBE I need an area to grow a lot of corn in......

10 comments:

Kat Campbell said...

I'm coming over for lemonade, that's beautiful!

Charlene Amsden said...

corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, baby potatoes, spinich (ecoli free), onions, radishes, and rhubarb

Jackie's Garden said...

Kat - you'd be most welcome! I can tell from reading your posts, that I'd enjoy your company!!

Quilly-Sister, I have all but the potatoes and spinich! Love you xoox

Just Tom said...

what a great synopsis. You gave me a journey. Well written. Nice pics. Thanks!

Tom

Louisiana said...

hmm, it sounds like the corn is the next big project ahead, lol..

of course your husband supports your gardening. he obviously loves you and respect you tons. and besides how could he not..you are amazing at it..have you ever send in your pictures to a gardening magazine? you should..it is spectacular what you can do and have done..

i love the idea of a secret garden. it sounds magical and it reminds me of the movie..what a beautiful story.

B.R.L said...

Oh what work you have done and how beautiful it all turned out. I like the idea of a secred garden.

Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, no, really....thank you! xoxo

Jackie's Garden said...

Chana - that's sweet of you. I don't think my garden would be in any magazines - it's just a little fun thing. I love it, though, it's MY thing.

Jackie's Garden said...

Betty, thanks. I love the idea, too, but my hubby teases me. Wants to know why I call it 'secret' when I tell everyone! LOL

Neoma said...

Beautiful, Jackie....wish I was on my last big project........not sure if any of my projects are ever going to get done. I stopped working about six months ago, and just have never got back to doing anything harder than pulling weeds. The basement sits and remineds me it needs to be finished, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. And I have paths to build, and retaining walls yet to do......maybe next year. haha