Monday, September 25, 2006

Family and Blogging


This “blogging with family” experience is affording me new insight to my family. I’ve found myself thinking a lot about our family, after reading daily posts from my sister, my two daughters, new friends who share about their families, and discussing it all with my unnamed sister who won’t join us.

Of course, I’ve always been aware of Quilldancer’s talents, her intelligence, prose and humor. I have some published works of hers, and have long been the recipient of her letters and chats. It’s phenomenal how her mind works. But now I am seeing strains of the same in my daughters. They also have a talent for expressing themselves, for sharing, for humor. And they have those unbreakable ties that are at the core of my heart. Like the family ties that I see as they correspond with each other and with their Aunt.

To describe my biological family as dysfunctional, would be describing it kindly. I had a councilor once tell me that it’s unusual that I have a closeness with my siblings…that the normal for siblings that come from families like ours, is to completely distance and divorce themselves from each other. That has not happened with me and my siblings. Thank you, Higher Power.

And my children, oh my. I have been so blessed. I always ‘maintain my gratitude’ for my life, for my family. Cindra, Brooke and Scott have been my very life. Because of them, I was able to carry on through some times I never thought I’d make it through. And like the wind that blew in my life…I’ve been some of the wind in theirs. (Trees that endure wind over long periods, bow with the wind and are the strong trees. Weak ones are toppled by the wind). Nearly twenty four years ago, I ended an 8 year love affair I had with alcohol, one that made me ‘emotionally’ absent, and that was at odds with being the kind of mother I wanted to be and thought I was. I was blessed in the fact that I got to end the dysfunction within my family.

I don’t dwell (too much) on the negatives aspects that were wrought during either my upbringing, or during my children’s. Since I can’t change it, I’ve learned to embrace the wind. What came before is what made us who and what we are. And oh how much I like who and what we are! No victims. We are strong. We are survivors. We are fairly intelligent, interesting and interested people, caring, thoughtful and loving. You can knock us down, but you can’t keep us down. Somewhere along the line, (the good and the bad) we got some hardy genes!

But the best of God’s gifts to me, is the love and like my children have for me. And that which I have for them. Not only do I love them with my life, I like them each so very much. That they like me too, is a blessing. Though they’ll always be babies to me, though I’ll always tell them what to do (not that they listen!), and though I’ll always worry about them – I am aware (somewhere inside me) that they are adults. Wow. I don’t know how that happened. But they grew up to be wonderful people. People I never get tired of spending time with, and never get enough time with.

Cindra is a vibrant, alive woman, with multiple talents. She has a great passion for what we are leaving the next generation, and she doesn’t just talk it, she walks the talk. She is the kind of mother to her children, that I always wanted to be to mine. Brooke is my mercurial child. She spits one minute and giggles the next. She is full of life and loves it, and it shows in all she does. She is in the helping profession – and gives of herself by going on missions overseas – to give back. Scott is a ‘mama’s boy’ at almost 34 years old. He has no problem with that – and his wife just laughs at him. He’s my baby, the youngest. Yet he’s the father of 4 children. He married a woman with 2 children, they had a baby together, and they adopted a baby three years ago. I think that this one fact will earn him jewels in his crown someday: if you observe him playing with his four children he loves so….I’d wager that you couldn’t pick out which one is his biological child. And I’d wager that if you tried, you would be wrong. What a good, honest, loving man he is. And what a sense of humor he has!

So far, this blogging has had great returns for me – and seeing my family interact in a different manner is just an added bonus!

9 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

What a beautiful love letter. You are no slouch in the communication department, either. I am glad you are my sister. I, too, think our family is pretty remarkable. I believe we owe our strength to unconditional love. It's pretty potent stuff.

I love you -- and that sister without a name? Tell her I love her, too.

Louisiana said...

wow.
i can just imagine how deeptly touched your daughters and son will be to read such words from their mother. and your sis from her sister. it is a great love that binds you all together. with a great sense of respect for each other. i loved how you clearly acknowledge that we can love but not always like one another. how blessed you all are that you have both. the friendhsip between you all is to be admired.

i was honestly thinking, yesterday (?), after reading Brookes' post about her sis and her 'lies' lol...it was a very touching post and it made me realize that you all blogging gives another dimension to not only us, of course, your readers but to one another. we often see one another only in 'one' way..i don't really know how to explain my thought i think.

my family was, big time disfunctional. i suffered much growing up. it made grooves in my heart that have yet to heal. after loosing my dad to Mixed Connective Tissue Disease in 97, at such a young age, he was 47 i realized how important time was. i have yet to have the relationship with my sis that i longed for and there are many days that the dream gets farther away from me..and with my mom, although i will never be in her eyes what i wish most in the world. although i have finally come to accept what things are, i know she loves me. and has tried. and that she is not perfect but neither am i. and we keep on going..the two of them with me often looking in. but not anymore crying for my wish to come true, but it's okay. acceptance and attitude will always get one true.

so from someone who more than admires and rejoices the way you have all overcome all the adversities of life and cherish each other and know of each other loves: congratulations Jackie. for you have two amazing daughters whom you have every right to be proud of and a sister who is a gift to all of us and you yourself one to them and now us as well. you have done a great job raising your family. that it's plain to see. take a bow.

Jackie's Garden said...

CB, I like to think that it's because of some kind of genes Mom passed on to us. The thought makes me happy. Love you. xoxox

Jackie's Garden said...

Chana, I know what you mean....sort of gives me the chance to see family through others eyes. Your description of 'grooves in your heart that have yet to heal' - makes me eyes well up. With acceptance and attitude...you really DO have the answer. Reminds me of the saying: I can't change people, places, or things. The only thing I can change is my ATTITUDE about people, places, or things. Thanks for sharing, Chana.

Anonymous said...

Wow, mama. All I can say is thank you. I love you too, very much. And it's not all that surprising to me you described each of us perfectly. After all, you had a whole lot to do with us being the adults we are today. I mean that only in the best sense. Oh, and auntie QD, did ya see that? She admitted I'm an adult! Whoo hoo! lol

Jackie's Garden said...

Hey, sweetie, I took what Auntie QD calls 'literary license' when calling you an adult! Seriously, love you, too. Have a great day! xoxox

Anonymous said...

As I get older I think the dysfunctional families work through their problems and the survivors thrive. It's the "perfect" families that suffer as they live their lives shallowly in the Cleaver mode, thinking that everyone else lives the same way. Depth and strength often comes from pain and suffering, and the lessons learned from the bad times are invaluable as life deals out it's treacherous lessons. !!

Jackie's Garden said...

Anonymous, I agree with you. It's those 'invaluable lessons learned' that help us to continue growing and becoming. Thanks for the thought!

Jackie's Garden said...

miskaj - thanks for visiting, and for the words. I'll be by to 'visit' you today! Yes, it's a grabber, alright. And I am one of those who worry and fret...I work at letting go and letting God - and then half the time, continue to worry and fret. I'm practicing and hope I get better. But I've never been able to let go of anything - until it had claw marks all over it.