Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Blast from the Past - for Cindra

I use to listen to music 24/7. And sang. Not well or even carrying a tune, but I sang. I loved all the 50's and 60's music, all the sappy do wop, etc. My kids knew the words to every country western song - long before that music was popular.

A few weeks ago, Cindra told me that she'd sometimes find herself singing parts of this song....
and that absolutely no one EVER knows this song. I think Auntie Caryl is the only other person I know that knows it - so here it is, Cindra. You can sing it all now, and amaze and astound your friends!

Rocky

Alone until my eighteenth year
We met four springs ago
She was shy and had a fear
Of things she did not know
But we got it on together
In such a super way
We held each other close at night
And traded dreams each day
And she said,
"Rocky, I've never been in love before
Don't know if I can do it
But if you let me lean on you
Take my hand, I might get through it" (through it)
I said, "Baby, oh sweet baby
It's love that sets us free
And God knows if the world should end
Your love is safe with me"
We found an old gray house
And you would not believe the way
We worked at night to fix it up
Took classes in the day
Paintin' walls and sippin' wine
Sleepin' on the floor
With so much love for just two
Soon we found there'd be one more
And she said,
"Rocky, I've never had a baby before
Don't know if I can do it
But if you let me lean on you
Take my hand, I might get through it" (through it)
I said, "Baby, oh sweet baby
It's love that sets us free
And God knows if the world should end
Your love is safe with me"
We had lots of problems then but
We had lots of fun
Like the crazy party
When our baby girl turned one
I was proud and satisfied
Life had so much to give
'Till the day they told me
That she didn't have long to live
She said,
"Rocky, I've never had to die before
Don't know if I can do it..."
Now it's back to two again
The little girl and I
Who looks so much like her sweet mother
Sometimes it makes me cry
I sleep alone at nights again
I walk alone each day
And sometimes when I'm about to give in
I hear her sweet voice say, to me
"Rocky, you know you've been alone before
You know that you can do it
But if you'd like to lean on me
Take my hand, I'll help you through it" (through it)
I said, "Baby, oh sweet baby
It's love that sets us free
And I told you when the world would end
Your love was safe with me"
She said,
"Rocky, you know you've been alone before
You know that you can do it
But if you'd like to lean on me...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I know that song too mama! Oh wow, haven't heard it in a very, very long time but I've always loved it.

Jackie's Garden said...

Yes, Brooke, you probably do know that song. I'm sure Scott knows it, too! He and Cindra both say there isn't a Tammy Wynette or Loretta Lynne song they don't know the words to either! Ah, the legacy I leave. Love you. xoxoxoxo

Charlene Amsden said...

I know this song. I think I may even have it around here somwhere on CD.

B.R.L said...

I came to see what visited you, and I found a picture of a beautiful garden.
That song brought tears to my eyes and i havent heard it before but I just bet Dr John's mom would have. That was the music she listen to.

Jackie's Garden said...

Quilly - bet you liked it, too, huh? LOL xoxoxoxo

Kat Campbell said...

New song to me, but then I have a dreaded aversion to country music! These lyrics made me weepy too, so maybe I should give it another try.

Jackie's Garden said...

Oh, Kat, if that one makes you cry...I have more for you!

We have all that old music on our tv system and I sing along to things I didn't even know I knew...my hubby says "you DO know the words to a million songs!".

Jackie's Garden said...

Betty - thanks. And I love that rose you have there!

Jackie's Garden said...

Betty - thanks. And I love that rose you have there!

Jackie's Garden said...

I thought you'd like knowing ALL the words for when this is stuck in your head, Sissy! Who wants only half an ear worm!?!?

You could have Terry around...he'll leave me all day with that one in my head about the birds in their dirty underwear!

The one that really sticks with me day after day and I have a hard time losing is the Green Beret. LOL Love you.

Neoma said...

I have to go and find the song, it sure seems familiar, but can't get thet tune, I know I will feel pretty foolish when I hear it. Because I know that I know it. I am from that era...haha

Neoma said...

Ahhhhhhh now I remember it.....I found two versions........don't know which one was original or if either were, but I liked them both.

Jackie's Garden said...

Oh, Nea, glad you found it. Doesn't it drive you crazy when you know you KNOW something?! It's why I love the internet...can just look up anything and everything.

Charlene Amsden said...

The Ballad of the Green Beret
SSgt Barry Sadler

Fighting soldiers
From the sky
Fearless men
Who jump and die
Men who mean
Just what they say
The brave men
Of the Green Baret

Silver wings
Upon thier chest
These are men
America's best
100 men
Will test today
But only 3
Win the Green Baret

Trained to live
Off natures land
Trained in combat
Hand to hand
Men who fight
By night and day
Courage leak
From the Green Baret

Silver wings
Upon thier chest
These are men
America's best
100 men
Will test today
But only 3
Win the Green Baret

Back at home
A young wife waits
Her Green Baret
Has met his fate
He has died
For those oppressed
Leaving her
This last request

Put siver wings
On my sons chest
Make him one
Of America's best
He'll be a man
They test someday
Have him win
The Green Baret

Jackie's Garden said...

Oh my God! CB - I thought I was the only one that had that song memorized! Thanks, I have enough trouble getting it out of my head.
xoxoxoxo And here it is again!!

Logophile said...

Wow, you people are crazy with your weirdo song lyrics.
I refuse to display any knowledge of strange lyrics, refuse!
I love your garden!
The only wild life visiting us these days are the bunnies and birds. The deer haven't been around in ages.

Jackie's Garden said...

logo - I couldn't resist posting this for Cindra - she SO doesn't like having this type thing in her head. LOL

We don't have bunnies but I wish we did! Too many coyotes here, I think.

Thanks for visiting - even if you won't tell any weird lyrics!