Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Other Side of the Garden

Cindra loaded the template photo above, of the entrance to my garden (because she has a computer-challenged mother). Here is a view of the other side of this garden. I took the picture standing in the doorway of the 'secret' garden.

We have to fence in any areas we want to grow things in up here, as the wildlife are plentiful. Deer are so hungry now that it is so dry, they are eating things I've never seen them eat. My gardens aren't very large - but they're very beautiful.

When I moved up here, I ask my new hubby to throw up some chicken wire so I could grow a few things. He said he'd plow an acre for me if I wanted him to - and I just laughed. I told him I wanted to play, not work. So he started digging fenceholes. No easy task when our soil is clay! And he said there would be no chicken wire, that he would build me fences. And as you can see, he did a beautiful job.

I grow many 'mini' area of flowers and veggies. I personally ate every pea I grew this year - and all of them while standing in the garden. I can not walk by peas without eating them out of the shell. Cindra can't walk by tomatoes, and it's a good thing I planted lots of them this year. She and her family visited, and the plants had nothing but green fruit on them when she left. I planted a tiered strawberry bed for my departed grandmother, and a gooseberry bush for my hubby's departed father (we even had a gooseberry pie!). I grew a beautiful eggplant (and I don't like them) but loved watching it grow...such a delicious looking color. I have 20 Ponderosa Pines healed in with my flowers this year. We lost a lot of trees making room to build the shop, and now want to replace them. Just have to find the time to build cages for them first - and that doesn't look like it's happening until next spring.

I even planted 12 corn plants this year - and had the best sweet corn I've ever tasted. I had no idea you weren't suppose to buy ears at the store and then leave them in the fridge 2 or 3 days before you ate them! I will NEVER again eat corn that hasn't been picked the same day!

11 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie --

Hand dug coy ponds and 1 acre gardens -- sounds like Terry wanted you around.

I didn't realize it was so dry there this year. I wondered by the deer were eating so close to the houses already. They are going to have a bad winter.

Jackie's Garden said...

CB, yeah, he sorta likes me. And now he likes the koi and gardens nearly as much as I do. Just doesn't want to be involved in the upkeep, which is okay with me, it's MY thing.

I'll send some pictures of the deer later. I love seeing them and keep throwing out all my greens because it's too early for apples to fall. We had the hottest, driest summer here since the early 1800s.

Have a great week-end. Love you xoxo

Charlene Amsden said...

Bambi. Yummy.

Jackie's Garden said...

You're both sick! NO ONE hunts on our land. xoxoxoxoxo

Charlene Amsden said...

LOL! I knew you were going to say that, especially if I evoked the name of Bambi. I have venison in my freezer. You want to come to dinner?

Louisiana said...

oh how beautiful..truly beautiful!

Neoma said...

what a beautiful garden.....

My Uncles used to say, you need to pick the corn and toss it through a window right into the pot.....I guess they liked it really fresh, huh. I had some corn this summer at my Mom's, but she lets it get to ripe before she picks it. That has been an ongoing thing with her. haha For as long as I can remember we have eaten corn that was too old.

Jackie's Garden said...

QuillySister - I will eat no venison! Been there, done that. For way too long. Might try elk again sometime, though. Not as wild. xoxoxox

Jackie's Garden said...

Cindra Jo, I don't shoot animals. I hunted with your father, but turned my head when he shot something. I did shoot birds - but only because Grandma made the BEST creamed pheasant! xoxoxo

Jackie's Garden said...

Chana, I thank you. I think so, too. It's small, but I have some of everything. I can't tell you how much enjoyment I get from my garden. When I hand water plants, I swear I can feel my blood pressure drop 20 points!! LOL

Jackie's Garden said...

Nea - I love it - toss it through the window into the pot! I know what he means. Someone told me it's because the minute you pick it, the sugar starts turning into starch. I let some of mine get too old...forgot to keep peeking at it. But I'm learning.