Wednesday, September 27, 2006

An 'Exciting' Sighting



We had an exciting sighting at our house this morning! I'd cooked breakfast for hubby and went outside to check the garden. When I came inside, he'd finished eating and left the kitchen. I went in to clean up the dishes, looked out the window over the sink - and couldn't believe my eyes! I saw a young moose right outside my window! This time, I didn't yell....but I quickly went to get hubby and the camera. He looked out the window and saw another young moose - and then the mother!

We went outside to get pictures and followed the moose from one side of the house to the other side. One walked into the front yard, but turned and walked out when the motion detector sprinkler went off. Those sprinklers make the deer run - but the moose didn't seem too affected. They didn't seem at all interested in us - but we were SO excited and sure interested in them. We usually see one, at some time during the year, but never so close. We took pictures for about 10 minutes, before they finally crossed the road and went down into the brush.

Terry and I came inside and he was going to unload the camera. I went back into the kitchen to take care of those dishes - and saw the 'daddy' moose right outside the window. I yelled that time! We grabbed the camera and came outside, but only got two pictures of him. We were like two little kids - practically jumping up and down - so excited that the whole family came into our yard. Well, I like to think it was a family but since it's rutting season, the male was probably just following the female. Terry said that I probably wouldn't have been quite so excited seeing them if one of them had tried to use the pond!

15 comments:

Dave said...

Are you on a moose migration route by any chance? Or were they just as you said a family group wandering. Still nice visitors to have? I know here the deer eat young shoots and shrubs so maybe the moose do the same where you are. Depending on your point of view they may or may not be welcome visitors.

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie, Terry is right. This would be a whole different post if one of them would have tried grazing in your pond.

I love seeing wildlife up close and personal, but watch out for moose. They aren't known for their sunny dispositions.

Louisiana said...

what a wonderful way to start the day. i'm glad you had such a treat. they are often seen in Baff/Canmore, 1.5 hrs from here, they are comfortable enough with people they are in the middle of downtown. here in Calgary, we get deers in the communities in the edges of the city. beautiful pics as i'm coming to expect. my, your place is something!

Jackie's Garden said...

davem, I think the moose were just 'on the move'. They stopped here and nibbled the lilac bush. Deer pretty well keep it clipped up, though. I love all the animals we see - if they don't eat my flowers or try to swim in my pond!

Jackie's Garden said...

Quilly-Sister - yeah, we were staying very aware of our ecape route while taking picutes. Funny thing is, we didn't see the bull until right after the momma and babies crossed the road. I told Terry we were darn lucky that bull hadn't decided we were a threat, because he had to have been under the apple trees, right behind us on the hill, while we were out there!

Jackie's Garden said...

Thanks, Chana, I like living up here. Takes me about 25 minutes to go down the hill - and my son thinks we're crazy for liking this. He wants a quick-stop within three minutes traving time - or you're just living in the boonies!

Just Tom said...

WOOOooow! I pulled up your blog and yelled,"Moose!" Cindra snapped her head around and then realized what I was looking at and said "yeaah, isn't that amazing?" When I think of Moose I think of Montana, Canada, Alaska, but then I realized that where you are is actually quite close to two out of three of those. What a wonderful surprise! Thanks for sharing. Tom

Charlene Amsden said...

Sister Moose-Chaser, I left a message for you on Brooke's blog.

Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, T and I were running around with our hearts racing, we were so excited.

Quilly-Sis, I'm going.

Neoma said...

Wow Jackie you have some interesting wildlife crossing your path. I don't think I have ever seen a real moose......nope......haven't....I had to think about it for a minutes....

I think the only time I saw a moose was in the beginning credits of Northern Exposure......the TV sitcom.

Do they eat your flowers?

Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie -- both Cindra & Tom are in the "caption this picture" at Sar's. Go vote for one of them ....

Rob said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them! Now I wish even more that I had more time to get out and enjoy the wildlife.

Jackie's Garden said...

Nea - they'll eat anything they can reach!

CB - I DID - stop nagging! xoxoxo

Rob - thanks! Yes, there is nothing like it, is there? Makes me feel small!

B.R.L said...

Found the visitors. I would have been very excited to see them too. We have moose but they stay away. Are yours getting as brave as the deer.

Jackie's Garden said...

Betty, the moose are much braver than the deer. They are BIG and they know it. Not too afraid of anything. The deer are more skittish. But beautiful. I love seeing wildlife.